In a business career spanning over 35 years, Don Sterhan has been actively involved in the planning, development and financing of numerous business projects.
As owner/ operator of a private consulting firm during much of this time, Don’s experience and business interests include financial services, natural resource development projects, resort and commercial real estate development and strategic planning.
In August of 2003, Don accepted the position of President & C.E.O. of Mountain Plains Equity Group, Inc. Don subsequently purchased MPEG in 2010 and the company continues to operate under its original mission. Known as a “syndicator” in the industry, MPEG organizes and manages equity capital investment funds dedicated to the development of low-income housing tax credit projects. With institutional and corporate investors serving as the source of capital for such funds, MPEG has worked with investors and developers to place more than $200 million in equity investment capital throughout a seven-state market area.
In addition to his career responsibilities, Don is actively involved with various professional and civic organizations:
- Board Member of the National Association of State & Local Equity Funds (NASLEF)
- Past Chairman of the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch Foundation
- Past Board Member, St. Vincent Healthcare
- Past Chairman of the Montana Chamber of Commerce
- Past President of the Montana Chamber Foundation
- Past Board Member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chairman, Environment & Energy Committee, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Past Member of the Billings Library Foundation Board
- Past Member of the Montana Lottery Commission
- Past Member of the Oversight Committee for the Montana Family Education Savings Program
- Member of the National Advisory Council of Rocky Mountain College
- Appointed by the President in 1995 to the White House Conference on Small Business
LICENSES & AFFILIATIONS: Don maintains an active real estate sales license in the state of Montana. Earlier in his career, as a licensed securities advisor, professional licensing and regulatory oversight was administered by the Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) and the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD). Licenses previously held include NASD, Series 7 and NASD, Series 63.
Don is originally from Glendive, Montana, although he was raised primarily in the Flathead Valley of western Montana. Don graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration.